Friday, May 17, 2013

Does it REALLY Cost More to Eat Healthy?

I have so many excuses to not eat healthy. The top one, it's EXPENSIVE. So I decided I am going to post the cost of a few really healthy meals and compare them to the fast food I am usually consuming. Yes, I know it's bad I eat a lot of fast food but I'm a student and all my time is spent in the business building, not at home being a housewife. Anyway, on to the post.

Kitcheree


Ingredients



1/2 cup basmati rice, (I substituted brown rice, the entire package was $1.99)
1/2 cup mung beans (Super cheap, 2.15 per lb. I spent $1.51)
5 cups filtered water or more if you want it soupy (FREE)
1 stalks celery (1.29 for a huge bunch)
1 carrot (1.59 for bag of baby carrots, I like them better)
1/2 bunch kale, broccoli, chard or other greens(optional) (Kale was 2.78 for a gigantic bag, broccoli was .99 per lb)
Spice choices: 1/2 tsp. of each; cinnamon , cumin powder, cumin seeds, coriander , fennel seeds, turmeric, black or chili pepper or chili flakes, basil, oregano  ( I already had all the spices so I didn't count them but this is where it can get costly. Cheaper spices are cinnamon, cumin, oregano, pepper)
1 large onion (.33)
1 inch ginger grated (.86)
1 clove garlic chopped finely .33


Total for all the ingredients including tax..............................................$12.02

The recipe made 8 servings, Cost per serving...................................... $1.50

I think I probably ate 2 servings in 1 setting so my total cost is ..............$3.00



ARBYS 

I love Arbys mmmm.... curly fries. I order the same thing everytime I go there. Arby melt combo with curly fries and have a small shake for dessert. 


               Total for the meal (estimated).....................................................$6.00

Eating healthy was cheaper in this case, plus I have tomorrows lunch, and even possibly dinner. Moral of the story my top excuse was not right. I think I need to start cooking more. 

Until next time, happy savings loves!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template By Designer Blogs