Monday, May 20, 2013

Does it REALLY Cost More to Eat Healthy? #2

Beet and Carrot Casserole
(Sounds like barf, right?)
I bunch beets ($1.84)
1 lb. carrots ($.78)
2 bunches scallions, chopped ($1.78 for one very large bunch)
3 cloves garlic, minced ($.33)
4 -6 Tbs. olive oil, ghee (clarified butter), butter or coconut oil (The olive oil purchased was expensive, but it was a huge jug, for $26.00, estimate of how much I used, $1.00)
 Black Pepper to taste (All ready had it, but for a quality kind it's about $5.00)
1 bag of cheese ($2.48)

Scrub beets and carrots. Steam beets whole. After about 15 minutes, add carrots. Cook until tender yet firm. Remove beet skins. Grate beets and carrots with a coarse grinder. Loosely mix together. Saute scallions and garlic. Toss this mixture together with the beets and carrots,  and black pepper and put in a casserole dish. Cover with grated cheese and bake at 350 degrees just until cheese is golden.


This recipe makes 8 servings.
Total cost to make recipe.......................................................$7.03
Cost Per Serving...................................................................$.88

The PRO'S
The casserole was surprisingly very delicious. I hate beets so I thought it was going to make me puke to eat it. It's also very healthy for your liver.  Where can you go out to eat for only $.88? I am feeling so much better eating healthy meals.  My husband loved it, he ate 2 platefulls. I have a lot of leftovers.

The CON'S
Everything I used to cook with was covered in fuschia pink from the beets, the recipe is very messy. I didn't like having to grate the carrots and beets when they were already cooked, it was very time consuming. It took me about 2 hours to come out with the final product.

Once again, my excuse it's too expensive to eat healthy has failed me. Slowly, I am adapting to the idea of eating more healthy foods. All the recipes I have posted come from the book Food for Health and Healing. Click the picture to purchase.





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template By Designer Blogs