Tuesday, September 16, 2014

What's for Dinner Wednesday- Pinterest Edition



Tonight's meal is inspired by the by mutant tomato plants that successfully hijacked my zucchini and swiss chard. What ever shall I do with the all of my over producing tomato plants?   I did what any modern, young woman as myself would do, turn to Pinterest.  For this dinner I searched "tomato" and voila, 1000's of yummy recipes popped up. I could not decide which recipe to follow so I used two, http://southernbite.com/2014/05/15/zucchini-tomato-bake/ and this http://ifoodreal.com/garlic-parmesan-zucchini-and-tomato-bake/. I went out to pick the ingredients for my dinner and I only found 1 zucchini. So, I had to get creative, still have a kale and turnips growing so I decided to add those to the bake. When I got in the house I remembered the mushrooms in the fridge that needed to be used so I added those. It took me kind of a long time to cut up all the veggies, I used the spices, cheese and garlic from the ifoodreal.com recipie and the bread crumbs from the southernbite.com recipe. I mixed the spices, veggies, and cheese together and than added them to a large baking dish. Both recipes said to spray cooking spray in the pan and I forgot, luckily nothing stuck to the pan. During the process I preheated the oven to 350. I topped the bake with the bread crumb mix and baked in the oven for about 45 minutes.


Here's what the bake turned out like. I admit, I'm no food photographer and the dish looks kinda gross based on this picture, but it was turned out so yummmmmmmmy!  *Learning experience, cook the turnips before baking because they were still rock solid. However, they were easy to pick out.

Moral of the story this recipe is a must. I think it would be super yummy with a piece of chicken cooked on the barbecue. Any veggies could be used really, but in this case I used Italian herbs so I thought it would be good to use Italian veggies. Oh I... almost forgot, I didn't even spend much money because I either had the ingredient in my pantry or grew it in my garden. Enjoy your dinner my friends.

LOVES,

46 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds great!!!! awesome you have your own garden!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! My tomatoes pretty much died this year, so I am envious of an overabundance! We LOVE bruschetta on toasted, homemade french bread when we have too many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot about bruchetta. Tots going to make it tonight.

      Delete
  3. I'm no food photog either but it still looks yummy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I have to admit I find most of my recipes on Pinterest <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the look of the crispy layer on top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love an easy recipe you can just thrown in the oven on those lazy nights where I don't want to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of tomatoes but not the taste. Seems like a good recipe to modify though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahah I can imagine that it was good even with the photo, it sounds delish! I'm definitely no food photographer either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love turnips! They are great stir-fried and sauteed in little cubes like a home fry - delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. throwing things together is one of the best recipes out there :) easy & quick

    ReplyDelete
  11. love one pot meals like this - so wholesome, and like you, i love to combine recipes! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. And now I'm starving!! May have to try this this week.. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! And now you've made me hungry! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks great. I love anything with tomatoes. Thanks for the link to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always wanted to have my own garden! That sounds beautiful. This also looks like a great recipe, I'll have to give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks delicious. I may have to stumble out into my garden to see what I can come up for dinner. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a great meal but not a fan of zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really want a garden! We have a lot of neighborhood cats though who like to visit my backyard lol urban living I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's the kind of thing Chris does. He stands in front of the veggie box and the fridge and comes up with some concoction. Which actually most of the time looks gross but tastes amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds good. My tomato plants did the same thing this year. It was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's so great that you can pick your own and make dinner. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. as long as it tastes good that's what matters

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm thinking of starting a garden of my own next year. Your recipe looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. as long as it tasted delicious thats the main thing!!! glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks really yummy! I'm glad that you enjoyed it! You definitely have to get creative sometimes if you don't have all the ingredients the recipe calls for.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I learnt the hard way with turnips too, so long as its yummy that's all that matters lol

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's so great that you can pick your own food and make dinner, I love being able to do that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is so awesome that you have a garden with fresh food!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think it looks great! I tried to grow a garden but the animals ate everything! lol

    ReplyDelete
  30. A garden that grows tomatoes is pretty awesome! Tomatoes are super expensive at the grocery.

    Thrifting Diva
    www.thriftingdiva.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds great! I love that this recipe can incorporate different ingredients without harming the entire recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum. I pinned for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sounds good. My kids love anything with tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like zucchini anything! This is a must-try!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just started liking zucchini, must try!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This looks yummy! I'm going to save it to try it later.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nom Nom Nom, sounds delicious!! Definitely going to try this out!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Template By Designer Blogs